OpenBiome and Finch Therapeutics Group: working together to ensure continued safe access to FMT.
OpenBiome has partnered with Finch Therapeutics Group, a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, to help get FMT approved by the FDA for C. diff patients. We have licensed our stool banking technology to Finch’s team of microbiologists, data scientists, and drug delivery experts, and Finch serves as the contract manufacturer of the material that OpenBiome provides. OpenBiome is also helping Finch secure FDA approval so that patients continue to have access to FMT in perpetuity — a lengthy, expensive process that OpenBiome cannot undertake alone.
This collaboration will allow us to execute our mission at a level we could not have imagined before.
- We will provide safe access to fecal transplantation for patients with recurrent C. difficile today, and help Finch pursue FDA approval so that patients have access to FMT in perpetuity.
- We will continue to catalyze research on the microbiome by providing clinical investigators with logistical and material support and by facilitating standardization and knowledge transfer across this field. With additional resources from Finch, we will support early-stage, high-risk, and long-term microbiome research programs that might not be able to secure traditional funding. In the future, we hope that this work will advance public knowledge of how gut bacteria can be engineered to help cure or even prevent disease.
To learn more:
- “It’s time for FDA-approved poo” - Huffington Post
- Open letter from our Executive Director to the clinicians and researchers we serve
- A memorandum on the partnership’s formation
- OpenBiome’s press release